After a long period of good intentions with no action, I finally moved the codingjunkie.net blog from Wordpress to Octopress. I have nothing bad to say about Wordpress, it’s been a great tool for me. It’s just that over time I’ve found myself wanting a simpler blogging platform. Aside from liking the overall looks of Ocotpress, the big draw for me was the decreased load time from serving up static HTML pages. Once I sat down and decided to pull the plug, it was really pretty simple. It all boiled down to just a few steps:
- Export my posts into the Wordpress XML format.
- Run exitwp on the exported XML.
- Some basic regex work to fix image tags.
- Configure the permalinks to match the form I already use.
- Spend 5 minutes reconfiguring my blog on the WebFaction control panel.
- Deploy the converted posts using rsync.
Overall, it went much easier than I had anticipated. Only time will tell if switching to the new platform will help me write better content!